Last Updated on March 31, 2022 by Jack Sanders
So you want to know how to break in your newest pair of work boots, but you want it fast? I hear ya. If you Google “how to break in work boots” you’re gonna get a gazillion of answers and I say IGNORE THEM ALL.
There are 10 ways to break in work boots fast so you can easily enjoy wearing them instead of dealing with blisters and foot aches.
Let’s get right into them.
How To Break In Work Boots Fast
Breaking in work boots is the process by which the boots gradually adapt to the contour of your foot to provide optimal comfort.
Its only disadvantage is that this procedure is extremely painful resulting in blisters and scars which take weeks to heal.
Fortunately for you, I’m going to show you 10 techniques to break in work boots quickly to cut this process down as much as possible.
- Domestic Break In Method for Work Boots
- Thick Socks Break In Method
- Warm Water Break In Method for Work Boots
- Boot Stretchers Break In Method
- Leather Conditioner/Mink Oil Break In Method
- Rubbing Alcohol Break In Method
- Wet Towel/Newspapper Break In Method
- Shoehorn Break In Method
- Boot Stretching Spray Break In Method
- Heat Dryer Break In Method
1. Domestic Break In Method for Work Boots
Things will go horribly wrong for you if you decide to wear your work boots the day after you get them as you’ll have to struggle with severe foot pain and blisters.
To avoid this, I advise people to wear their new work boots around the house first.
The goal here is to avoid being on your feet all day, which might worsen the effects of breaking in new work boots.
Wearing work boots at home would allow you to gradually break in your work boots without having to deal with horrible issues like blisters and the like.
Do this for a week and you should be set.
Things will go horribly wrong for you if you decide to wear your work boots the day after you get them.
2. Thick Socks Break In Method
Wearing thick socks to break in leather work boots has two major advantages.
First, the socks will act as padding, ensuring that your feet are adequately cushioned and that you avoid unpleasant consequences (i.e. blisters) of breaking in new boots since they will not be in direct touch with your feet.
Second, the socks will gradually increase pressure on the boots’ leather, causing it to give in and mold to the shape of your feet.
If you do the “thick socks” approach for a week, your new work boots should break in fast.
Carhartt All-Terrain Boot Crew Socks
3. Warm Water Break In Method for Work Boots
The warm water method is by far one of the most affordable ways to break in new leather work boots.
This procedure entails filling a large bucket with warm water to 70% capacity.
Then, you dip your new pair of leather work boots into the bucket and soak them for around 30 minutes.
The goal here is for the water to penetrate and hydrate the leather fibers, making them more flexible. As a result, the boots will be able to mold to the contour of your feet more easily.
After 30 minutes, you must remove the boots from the water and immediately put them on with a thick pair of socks.
Continue to wear them until the boots are dry, and hopefully, the boots will be broken in by then.
Attention: Do not soak the work boots in warm water for more than 30 minutes, since this may cause the leather to distort or, worse, rot.
4. Boot Stretchers Break In Method
When compared to other methods, the time required to break in work boots with this method is significantly less at little under 5 hours.
A boot stretcher is a mechanical instrument composed of wood and metal that should be put inside your new work boots after it is fully closed.
The stretcher has a counterclockwise-cranking metal handle that expands the stretcher to the desired width. The stretcher’s objective is to progressively shape the leather fibers to the appropriate width you like.
After leaving the stretcher operating for approximately five hours, the boot should be broken in.
If you asked me, I’d recommend the following boot stretcher as it’s the one that gave me the most results:
HOUNDSBAY Bloodhound Boot Stretcher
5. Leather Conditioner/Mink Oil Break In Method
This method consists in applying a high-quality leather conditioner to your new work boots to nourish the leather fibers making them easier to mold to your feet.
It’s one of the best ways to break in work boots because it not only speeds up the process, but it also invigorates and protects the leather, extending its lifespan and improving its appearance.
Using a leather conditioner makes breaking in work boots a breeze. Here’s how it works:
- Brush the boots to remove any remaining dust
- Use a damp cloth and a leather cleaner formula to clean the boots
- Apply a generous amount of leather conditioner and let it sit for about an hour nourishing the leather fibers
- Put on the boots and wear them around for another hour, allowing the leather to mold to the shape of your feet
- Once the leather conditioner has dried completely, wipe it away with a clean cloth
- Optionally, you can allow the boots to air dry completely before applying a light coat of leather protectant
- After buffing the boots with a brush, they’ll be ready to wear!
If you asked me, I’d say the best leather conditioner for this break in method is the following:
Leather Milk Leather Restoration Kit
6. Rubbing Alcohol Break In Method
Many people believe that breaking in leather work boots with rubbing alcohol might warp the leather.
The truth is that rubbing alcohol doesn’t work that way, instead, alcohol seeps into the leather fibers and eventually softens them, making the process of breaking in work boots much quicker.
This is why I thought it’d be nice to explain this process.
You’ll need two things for this method: a diluted alcohol spray bottle and a clean cloth. Let’s get right into it:
- To begin, make certain that your work boots are clean by using a thorough cleaning method
- After 20 minutes of rubbing alcohol hydrating the leather fibers, put on the work boots and go for a stroll to allow the work boots to adapt to your feet’s shape
- Once the work boots are comfy, use a clean cloth to wipe away any remaining alcohol
- Now, you could apply a light coat of leather conditioner to allow the work boots to re-nourish
That’s all there is to it. Your work boots should now be broken in.
7. Wet Towel Break In Method
Because it complements the other break-in techniques depicted here, the wet towel method is ideal for breaking in new leather work boots.
The wet towel penetrates and hydrates the leather fibers on the interior of the boots, something that is impossible to do with the other techniques.
As a result, by pairing this method with other ones (i.e. leather conditioner method) the boots will now mold to your feet easier as both the external and internal leather fibers will be more flexible.
These are the steps to follow in the break in method:
- Soak a towel in water for a few minutes before using it
- To get as far into the boots as possible, cram the moist towel all the way in
- Give the internal leather fibers an hour or so to hydrate
- Remove the towel and lightly pat the inside of the boots dry with a dry towel
- Put the boots on and keep them on for around 30 minutes
If you follow this method together with any other methods depicted in this article you’ll be breaking in your new leather work boots faster than you thought.
8. Extra Pair Break In Method
If you already own a pair of work boots, breaking in your new leather work boots can be very simple.
What’s advised is to alternate wearing your new work boots with your old ones.
You can wear your new boots on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays and your old work boots on Tuesdays and Thursdays. As an alternative, you may choose to limit the time you wear your new work boots to a few hours a day.
It doesn’t really matter as long as you alternate your old work boots with your new ones because the objective is to let the work boots slowly mold to your feet without hurting them.
9. Boot Stretching Spray Break In Method
Many people believe that using a boot stretching spray is the most efficient way to break in leather work boots because it softens the hard leather and allows it to mold to the wearer’s feet more easily.
The following steps must be followed for the boot stretching spray break-in method to be successful:
- To get the best results, make sure your work boots are clean and dry before applying the boot stretcher spray
- As soon as a few minutes have passed, the leather should be smooth enough to make breaking in the boots much easier
As to me, I believe the best boot stretcher to be the Simple Shine Leather Stretcher Spray as it’s both affordable and very effective.
Simple Shine Leather Stretcher Spray
10. Heat Dryer Break In Method
The heat dryer method is one of the safest ways to break in work boots because it doesn’t use any chemicals that could harm the boots.
I mean, it’s perfect for those who don’t want to put any strain on their expensive leather work boots as it only uses heat to soften the leather fibers in your work boots.
The steps to follow are pretty easy:
- Make sure your work boots are clean and dust-free.
- Heat your new leather work boots from all sides with your heat dryer
- After 2 minutes or so doing this, the leather fibers should already be loose enough
- Put on the work boots and walk around for an hour or so
- Repeat the procedure as many times as necessary until the boots are broken in
Quick Comparison Table
|1. Domestic Break In Method for Work Boots||1 week||Easy||Medium|
|2. Thick Socks Break In Method||1 week||Easy||Medium|
|3. Warm Water Break In Method for Work Boots||1 hour||Moderate||Medium|
|4. Boot Stretchers Break In Method||5 hours||Hard||High|
|5. Leather Conditioner/Mink Oil Break In Method||1 hour||Moderate||High|
|6. Rubbing Alcohol Break In Method||30 minutes||Moderate||Medium|
|7. Wet Towel/Newspaper Method||1 day||Easy||High|
|8. Extra Pair Break In Method||1 week||Moderate||High|
|9. Boot Stretching Spray Break In Method||5 minutes||Easy||High|
|10. Heat Dryer Break In Method||1 day||Moderate||Medium|
Frequently Asked Questions
This is a list of the most often asked questions about breaking in work boots quickly, and my attempt to answer the majority of them.
How Do I Prevent Chafing When Breaking In The Work Boots?
Chafing hurts, but it’s often unavoidable.
Because new work boots are made of hard leather that hasn’t be molded to your feet yet, the repeated rubbing against your foot skin will cause a lot of harm on the skin (also known as chafing).
Applying moleskin to the areas of your foot where you know your new work boots may irritate your skin over time is the greatest method to avoid chafing.
The Moleskin acts as a barrier, protecting your feet’ skin from chafing by reducing the amount of friction they are exposed to.
How Long Does It Take To Break In Work Boots?
If you don’t use any of the strategies described in this article, you’ll have to wear your hard leather work boots for 80 to 100 hours while coping with the agony.
During this time, the leather fibers will gradually adapt to the shape of your foot, but they will cause discomfort and little but painful injuries such as blisters.
What I would strongly advise is that you read the entire post and pick one or two methods that appeal to you the most and try them out.
You’d be surprised as to how fast and painless some of these methods are (they take from one hour to one week)
Do New Work Boots Need To Be Broken In?
New leather work boots are made from leather fibers that have not been bent or stretched. As a result, the boots are stiff enough to cause discomfort during the first few days of wearing them until they are broken in.
So, the answer is yes; I feel that all new work boots must be broken in because of how hard they come out of the box.